Sunday, January 8, 2012

Inverses

Find the inverse of f(x)=2x-3
x=2y-3
y=x+3/2

To have an inverse that is a function it must pass the horizontal line test.  The horizontal line test is when you draw a line across your paper and if your equation that you are given hits the line more than one time, your equation can not have an inverse.  If the line only crosses your equation one time, then it can have an inverse and you can solve the equation.  To find the inverse you switch the x and y in your equation given and then you solve for y.  So for this equation I am given, I used the horizontal line test and since this equation is linear, it will pass the horizontal line test because it only crosses once.  To solve this equation, I switched the x and y and then I added 3 to both sides and got 2y=x+3.  Then I divided everything by 2 and I got y=x+3/2.  So the inverse of this function is y=x+3/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment